By J M Forbes
Read or Download Voluntary food intake and diet selection in farm animals PDF
Similar veterinary medicine books
Fenner's Veterinary Virology 4E is the lengthy awaited re-creation of Veterinary Virology 3E which was once released in 1999. absolutely revised and up-to-date via the recent writer staff, half I offers the elemental ideas of virology regarding animal an infection and affliction and half II addresses the scientific positive aspects, pathogenesis, analysis, epidemiology and prevention of person ailments.
Compliment for this booklet: it is a welcome pocket reference for veterinarians who've already accomplished acupuncture education, yet should not but educated within the place or use of all of the issues. -- Lorrie Hale-Mitchell, DVM, collage of Illinois university of Veterinary MedicineSkillfully integrating conventional ideas of chinese language drugs with medical event and glossy clinical learn, Acupuncture for canine and Cats brings jointly all present details in a single handy booklet.
The sphere of ache examine is quickly increasing in either human and veterinary medication, and has helped bring up our figuring out of acupuncture. despite the fact that, many are nonetheless hugely sceptical in regards to the use of acupuncture and like for it to stay faraway from orthodox veterinary perform. This booklet seeks to problem universal misgivings by way of displaying how veterinary acupuncture works (for small and big animals), and why it may be verified as an orthodox type of therapy.
Do not go away your functionality at the NAVLE® to likelihood! With such a lot of how you can evaluate for the veterinary board examination, learning is straightforward with Saunders complete overview for the NAVLE® -- and it is a clever funding! In-depth assurance of crucial details in all the significant veterinary disciplines guarantees that you're learning with the easiest veterinary board evaluation booklet on hand.
- Respiratory Diseases of the Horse: A Problem-Oriented Approach to Diagnosis and Management
- Opportunities in Veterinary Medicine Careers (Opportunities in ...)
- Baculovirus and Insect Cell Expression Protocols (Methods in Molecular Biology)
- Feline Behavior: A Guide for Veterinarians, 1e
Additional info for Voluntary food intake and diet selection in farm animals
The three lines represent different batches of animals (from de Haer and Merks, 1992). at night. The two daylight feeding peaks may be coincidental with the entrance of the stockperson into the animal house or may be the preferred feeding times of the pigs. Cattle A high level of feeding activity is usually observed after fresh food is offered. A smaller peak often occurs before sunset and another just after midnight. Data from individual young bulls fed from automatically recording feeders showed that the sunset peak moved according to the time of year and that the nighttime quiet period was longer in winter (Stricklin, 1988).
Pigs also show increased tail biting when the diet is deﬁcient in salt or protein. This is probably a general increase in oral activity rather than a speciﬁc alleviation of the nutrient deﬁciency, as the little blood obtained would not signiﬁcantly improve their salt or protein status (Fraser and Broom, 1997). Stereotypies by pigs are increased by low levels of feeding, leading to persistent feeding motivation. , 1993). Sows often eat dead piglets but occasionally a sow may attack, kill and eat a piglet.
12) were about four times higher than postprandial correlations. e. feeding behaviour is ﬂexible but, the longer the time over which meals are summed, the more stable and predictable is intake. Therefore, detailed studies of feeding behaviour are of little direct help in improving our understanding of what physiological mechanisms underlie the control of voluntary food intake on a longer timescale. Description of Feeding Behaviour and its Development In this chapter we do not describe in detail the many and various methods animals use to harvest food.